I’ve blogged before about my obsession with the crock-pot, but I’ve yet to discuss my favorite thing to make in it: Chili.
Chili is my number one comfort food.
My mom used to make it with mashed potatoes and I swear, regardless of the day I had, when I ate it everything was better.
When it comes to chili, I’ve found that regardless of what I throw into the crock-pot, it always turns out fantastic.
I have one all-time favorite recipe for turkey chili that is incredibly flavorful and really easy to make.
- spices to taste: oregano, adobo, chili powder, Penzey’s chili 9000, chipotle chili powder, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of small white beans
- 1 lb of organic ground turkey
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of unsalted chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Throw the vegetables into a pan with a little bit of oil and fry until brown. Throw into the crock-pot when ready.
- Throw everything else into the crock-pot, set on low and cook for 8.5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy over a bed of rice or with tortilla chips and cheese.